What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you.
Where is CO found?
CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
Carbon Monoxide Testing
There are multiple tests that can be done to check for the presence of CO. Testing for carbon monoxide in the home is important especially in winter months when the furnace is running and windows are closed.
Who Needs a Carbon Monoxide Test
If you have an attached garage, gas appliances like water heater, furnace, stove, fireplaces, as well as have a wood-burning stove or fireplace, you need to make sure you have Carbon Monoxide monitors in place.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.